Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Power fluctuations during a big storm and how boring life must have been last century

The power in my apartment went out for a while during yesterday's thunderstorm. Without any real source of light (save a small battery powered lantern), it was fortunate that I at least had a cell phone to stay connected to society. In sitting there (and eventually just going to sleep), it made me wonder what life was like pre-internet and pre-tv. I can remember pre-internet pretty well, but pre-tv predates my time. I guess people just read books or played cards or board games. Simpler times I suppose.

During my drive home during the storm, however, it became abundantly clear how poorly painted some of the road lines are, as well as how bad drivers get when it starts to drizzle (or downpour). Why people just don't think to drive at a safe (but consistent) speed is beyond me.

No comments: