Sunday, August 17, 2008

Loockerman Exchange set to reopen

I saw in the paper today that the Loockerman Exchange in downtown Dover will be reopening soon under new management. I had written about its close a few months ago. I already threw out the paper, but I remember specifically that they said one of the things they will be changing is the speed of service for lunch and that lunch entrees will run between $5 and $10, which will keep them in line with the other lunch venues in that area. The old website is here; I'm not sure if it is still actively updated or not or will change when the new site opens.

Particularly, the article implies that they will be striving for lunch to take less than an hour. That only jumped out at me because I did eat there for lunch a couple of times and the lunch took well over an hour, and probably closer to two hours (which is really slow). I have written about the pace of lunches downstate on other occasions, and it still amazes me that (as compared to Wilmington), that it is a struggle for a group or even two people to get in and out of some of these places for lunch under an hour.

But maybe this attempt to pick up the lunch pace will rub off on some of the other fine eating establishments in Dover. For now, the record for the best service in terms of food, speed, and price remains the Amish Market (Spenses, which is near the hospital).

(Still not sure where they expect people to park if they really want to get non-Doverites to return to downtown Dover at night, but maybe they have worked out some deal with the post office and a shuttle service of sorts). Maybe I'll check it out once they reopen.

2 comments:

J.R. said...

Just stumbled across this. This is J.R. a manager at the Loockerman Exchange. Yes we plan on focusing heavily on our lunch business. Most of the people that patron us for lunch time will be existing downtown workers who will walk to a restaurant so parking is not an issue. As far as the happy hour and dinner crowd, there are over 300 parking spots in just our block available after 3pm (The parking spots are 2 hour parking till 5pm) plus additional parking in the rear after 4:30pm so I really don't see why everyone says the parking is an issue. Try going downtown rehoboth on a weekend and then tell me about parking issues heh. As far as wait times for lunch, I will never be able to beat out Spence's Bazaar due to the fact that all my food is made fresh to order, but the addition of the all-you-can-eat soup and salad bar along with some quick, but delicious sandwiches and platters I hope to address the issue of the long wait time at lunch.

Mark Lewis of Full Circle said...

I am glad to hear about the reopening. What is the plan for the night life? I have a funk, blues, R&B band that would love to be part of the entertainment.