Wednesday, December 10, 2008

UD wants to buy Chrysler plant

University of Delaware wants to buy the adjacent Chrysler plant and develop the property as either a new stadium or athletic complex. On one hand, I think this is a good idea and fits in with the long term plans of making UD/Newark a more integrated college town. On the other hand, it defeats any new industry from buying that same property and moving its base of operations there.

This debate, however, has dual interests for me. I'm for capitalism and free market industry, and would welcome new businesses coming to the state and providing people work (like Sallie Mae). I am also pro college and like the idea of a community-college-based city, sort of like Redmond, but more college centered. In the end, though, I think my loyalty can be evenly split as there are plenty of other properties that can be developed elsewhere in the state, which would still create jobs and develop industry, which would have the added benefit of letting the Newark campus continue to grow.

2 comments:

Zafo Jones said...

How about the State's most prominent educational institution toss us a bone down here in Sussex and build a downstate campus? That might be a better investment (public welfare-wise) than building just a bigger and badder sports complex.

Anonymous Delawarean said...

Good point. I think I may have mentioned this idea or some derivation of it once before, but I agree that it's a good one. With a half trillion dollar shortfall in the budget though, I wouldn't be holding my breath for very long on this one.