Wednesday, October 31, 2007

First thoughts of Dover, Brits on the radio and driving slow in the fast lane

Well, the first thing that is certainly different is the traffic. And by traffic, I mean the lack thereof. Unlike sitting in the parking lot of the Rt. 1/95 exit or the 141 mess, or any of the other half dozen spots that make the Wilmington commute more of a headache than anything else, those types of problems simply do not exist down here.

Granted, people tend to cruise very slowly in the fast lane, and these sunday drivers don't understand the concept of getting over or passing on the right. Not sure if I'm going to get used to that, mainly because I'm so used to it taking so long to get somewhere in the morning that there really is not the same need to zip around to get to the same places down in Dover. So, plus to that.

The radio stations down here are much less in number. I can't pick up any of the Philly stations, although I can pick up 93.7 so I can hear what the traffic patterns are every 10 minutes. If you can pick up a station, it's either country or country. I do like listening to 97.7 though, but mainly because the DJ is British, and since Wilmington has nothing like that, that's another plus for Dover. What is really funny is how the traffic reports down here are along the lines of "well, there's a little stop and go here and there." You guys have no idea how good you have it. Still can't figure out why 92.9 and 94.7 switched formats though. I seem to recall this happened years ago also, so maybe it's a contractual thing.

Intrigued by the fact that I have never heard a Brit on the radio before, I find the "Petch and Paula show" actually as good as some of the philly morning shows, if not better because of the British adaptations on typical American things (like proper football as opposed to American football). And since I find it hard to believe that a downstate radio station could have snagged such a unique dj, I found on the internet the low down. Lives in the area. Good for Milford and the Eagle station for picking up such a unique morning personality.

Anyway, there also seems to be a lot more black tags down here, which is sort of interesting also, and I'll have to comment on that another time. In the meantime though, I'll save my minuses for another day. Supposedly there are fun bars around Dover, I just have to find them, and tonight's as good a time as any.

No comments: