Monday, October 29, 2007

Spam Email report online

Internet is up, initial comments on Dover are forthcoming in an entry later this week, but for now, I wanted to comment on an interesting national article I saw splashed across the internet this afternoon dealing with spam and scam emails: Operation GreenDot, Following the Spam.

Since these emails pervade even the most diligent internet savant's inbox, I think it's important to understand why these scams should not be taken. Because Delaware takes great steps in trying to prevent its citizens from insurance fraud and other internet scams, I think this article about investigating a purchase from a spam email is worthy of a short commentary in the hopes that it prevents anyone from actually falling for these "too good to be true" emails.

The article is actually pretty comprehensive and worth the read. Basically, it explains where the initial email came from, where it actually came from, and what happened after he bought something from one of these scammers. In the end, unsurprisingly, he didn't get what he ordered. Just like this recent ad campaign explains it in visual terms, save yourself a giant headache and just delete these scam emails. Don't be another statistic.

Just so I am clear, I am not saying don't conduct business online. Frankly, I would buy everything online, including groceries, if I could and they could deliver it without breaking any eggs. (And in a few years, doing so probably will be more commonplace than it is now). My point is that you just need to be smart about it. Online companies like Amazon and online storefronts for Wal-Mart, Target, and the like are legitimate. Phishing emails from paypal or ebay or some bank that you don't have an account with (or even one that you do) that request very confidential information are not.

There is a funny commercial on tv now that has a ratty looking man go up to a woman on a bus asking for her credit card information, basically reading some lines from some of these spam/scam emails. While the company sponsoring the ad escapes me at the moment and I can't find it online, the point and conclusion is obvious and stated at the end of the commercial: you wouldn't fall for this in real life, so why would you do it online. If I find the video online, I'll post the link.

I think I listed some sources before, but the bottom line is to be sure to investigate any "too good to be true" deals before falling for them. While some may be legitimate, most are not. Snopes is usually my best first resource for checking such fantastic tales out.

1 comment:

Anonymous Delawarean said...

The website of the spam commercials I spoke of is Fake Checks.org. It has some videos, but not the one I am talking about with the guy on the bus.