Wednesday, October 24, 2007

The move to Dover

Just a quick post and then I have an out-of-state conference that I must get on the road for. My job has me doing a lot of work in Dover as of late, so I have decided to find an apartment down there and make that my center of operations for the next couple of months rather than trek back and forth along Rt. 1. Since I know virtually nothing about "downstate," it will be interesting to see whether it is as backwards as we are led to believe. Somehow I doubt it, although I could have sworn I saw a horse and buggy the other week.

Nevertheless, I haven't found too much in terms of what are good places to eat down in Dover, where the local bars are, etc., so maybe I'll chime in my perspective on these spots while I'm down here. One plus is that I'm closer to the beach. One minus is that traffic is much slower and the drivers really don't understand the concept of driving fast in the fast lane.

Moving is going to take a little while, and my internet is not scheduled to be up until I'm back from the conference, so once that is back up, posts will continue. I even decided that I would try and pick up the Delaware State News while I am down here so I could see once and for all which is the superior newspaper for the state. Hopefully they carry the News Journal at newsstands down here so I don't have to constantly rely on Delaware Online or the Wall Street Journal or Times for my news. (And no, I am certainly not equating the News Journal to either of those papers).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you're looking for a good community paper, try the Dover Post. It is delivered free of charge every Wednesday.

Anonymous said...

Greetings -- love your blog. Hope you are getting used to nicer people, cleaner air and more civility in downstate Delaware, with the added bonus of the traffic not being a parking lot. Couple of comments -- bet you did see a horse and buggy -- Dover has an Amish community west of town, so you see them driving buggies -- you should do the Amish Country Bike Tour in September. As far as bars, you might try Loockerman Exchange, Smithers, Irish Mike's or the Lobby House downtown, or the lobby bar at Dover Downs. Have fun!