Thursday, November 8, 2007

State news actually prints anonymous comments

One of my guilty pleasures is reading some of the ridiculous comments that get posted on the News Journal's website. Most are fairly, shall we say, uninformed. Anyway, in reading my new morning paper the other day, I've noticed that the Delaware State News actually prints some of these comments. Sometimes they are signed, and sometimes they are not. In this case, one anonymous comment in Monday's paper deserves a response.

I will print it in its completion: "I have driven from Dover to southeastern Montana recently and paid exactly a toll of 50 cents in tolls to do it, each way. That was the toll to cross the Mississippi River along the way. It is unconscionable that one (resident or not) should have to pay $4 to get from North St. George's to the Dover Air Force Base - one way. That's about 10 cents per mile. Same thing from Delaware Memorial Bridge to the toll both on I-95 in Newark - 15 miles costs $1.50 - unless that has also increased."

Well, I'm not sure if "unconscionable" is the right word. In fact, I believe if you take Rt. 13 all the way up, the cost is $0.00. That's about zero cents per mile. Putting that aside, the "sound off" forgets that the price is only $4 one way on weekends. As I have stated previously, the choice to take Rt. 1 is more out of convenience, and since you have to pay for convenience for everything else, why shouldn't the state try and make a buck off of this particular luxury? After all, it's the non-residents that travel the roadways more than residents in the summer, so (theoretically), DelDot and the general fund should get a boost from this toll jump.

The only other comment I will make about this particular sound off is that the person doesn't say how much was saved in tolls at the expense of wear and tear on the automobile that was driven. Sure, it may have only cost a dollar to go halfway across the country, but how far out of the way did you have to go to get there? I recognize this is sort of a silly argument, but so is calling the weekend toll bump "unconscionable."

1 comment:

Anonymous Delawarean said...

I read today an interesting post in the Delaware State News regarding anonymity on the internet and why people shouldn't be anonymous. Although I doubt this 'letter to the editor' is directed toward me, I certainly will be writing a response to it, and perhaps will double my exposure and send it to the state news as an op-ed piece. Stay tuned.