Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Tommy the Hartly monkey

I must have missed an article in the paper at some point, or maybe this monkey is like the Jimmy Hoffa of Delaware. I saw in the paper yesterday about a demolition that reveals "Tommy's bones." It sounds interesting enough, so I read the story. Apparently there was some legend about a monkey being buried in a building and they found the monkey bones when they tore it down. What I am missing from this story (and maybe this was part 2 of an article that I simply overlooked), is who the heck is Tommy the monkey and why are so many people so worked up over this? I'm not one to criticize writing, but most informational news reporting provides at least some background to explain the point. This one did not.

All I get out of this story is that there was some legend of Tommy the monkey in Hartly and that he died of pneumonia in 1941 after the presently demolished building caught fire and the monkey and the firefighter's hose crossed swords. Presumably, the building's owners buried him in the walls of the rebuilt building. And that's all she wrote. Was this a town pet or something? I don't know.

Unsurprisingly, there's nothing on the internet about Tommy the monkey either. So I am left to my own assumptions about why this is such an interesting story, and perhaps some more enlightened reader can point me out to fill in the gaps this article certainly created in its report.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tommy the Monkey was a Schweitzer Family pet back in the 1940's. He passed away in 1941 and was buried in the new concrete being pored for Schweitzer's Tavern. When the current owners (Ludwig F. Schweitzer, III and Marylou Bentley) sold the property, the new owners planned the demolition of the existing structures to make way for progress. During the demolition, the family tale of Tommy being buried in the tavern was validated as truth. As a descendant of this odd, but true tale, I to this day have no idea what compelled Great Granddaddy Schweitzer to bury in the tavern structure.

I hope this has helped to shed some light on the poorly written comments from the News Journal.

Thanks,
Stacey Schweitzer Wright