Thursday, January 17, 2008

Downstate's American Idols

I did happen to catch the premiere of American Idol, and by coincidence, I saw all three Delawareans perform. I'm glad two from "downstate" made it through, and every time a clown appeared before the judges, I simply hoped that they were not from Delaware. And with the exception of the one, there were none.

So, as Simon said, Ben Haar (Newark) wanted to get on tv and despite his claims that he never saw the show, he got his wish. Since his 15 minutes of fame are likely winding up, I wonder whether Dover's Chris Watson and Smyrna's Jonathan Baines clocks are still ticking. While they have repeated indicated that they are contractually unable to discuss what happens until after the show airs, I can only hope (from a public relation's perspective) that both make it to the final 12.

I seem to recall hearing that someone else from downstate made it through on another talent show over the summer, so if both of these singers make it, maybe that will inspire some more business to come to this state. (Granted, I know this is sort of contradictory with some of my other positions where I have stated that most of the elementary, middle, or high school students need positive role models; however, I see these successful students can just as easily fulfill that role).

I'm sure the local news will keep everyone informed, particularly if both make it a little further than the next round. It would be nice to have another famous downstater who actually loves the state. From my understanding, Ryan Phillipe (upstate) has a little more love for Delaware than Teri Polo (Dover), but that's just what I've heard on the rumor mill. If you know otherwise, or know of a list of the famous Delaware actors/singers, post away.

The best was the national plug that Watson gave to Del Tech. Can't get much better free publicity than that.

No comments: