Thursday, January 24, 2008

Funny, yet terribly ineffective ad for Price Honda on radio

I hope I hear this commercial again just to laugh at its absurdity. I'll save my commentary on how one inch of snow appears to shut this state down for another day.

On the radio the other morning, I heard an ad for Price Honda in Dover. I think this is the Honda place by the Camden Walmart. The gist of the ad (and this is an accurate paraphrase) was "It's inconvenient to get to us, but we're not inconvenient in our prices" or something to that effect. This commercial isn't quite in the "missing the point of targeting your customers" category (I'll save that one for the cat herders commercial from a couple years ago that few people bother to remember what product it was advertising). This "inconvenient commercial" is pretty close though.

But enough free advertising for this company. My point is that my first thought was "why would I want to drive to some inconvenient place to get a car?" But maybe I'm not the target market they are seeking. That may or may not be a correct assumption, but I can't be the only one that found this car spot funny. And way ineffective for that particular market segment.

Better luck next time Dover radio advertising wizards. I'm sure the cat herding advertising team is looking for some new talent.

1 comment:

Anonymous Delawarean said...

And yes, I know the company that did the cat herding commercial because my marketing and advertising seminar professor used it as an example and its just one of those useless pieces of trivia that you don't forget. No need to give them any free advertising though, but I'll give you a hint: they don't sell cats. Nor do they herd them.