Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Voting machines in DE primaries

I went ahead and cast my vote in the primary today, which is something that I have never done before (previously my votes have always been during the general election). My question is whether you could have voted for someone in the other party. I suppose it doesn't really matter, but I found it a bit confusing since the machines had the Republican candidates on one side and the Democratic candidates on the other. I voted for the same party that I am "R"egistered for, so at least one of the votes is right. At least with the electronic system, there isn't any concern with potentially hanging chads.

According to CNN, McCain and Obama will emerge with the few Delaware delegates. Humorously, despite Sen. Biden's published letter regarding the fact that nobody should cast his vote for him since he isn't running anymore, he managed to snare about 3% of the Democratic vote.

On an unrelated note, I've noticed that of my previous entries has seemed to have taken a life of its own: The one about the Lockerman Exchange closing. I think there are multiple conversations going on in the comments, but the only one really worth pointing out, and relevant to my initial talking point about that event is from 9:21 AM on Feb. 5.

That comment states, in part: "The original goal of the business was to spark downtown revitalization, with the hope that the economics of the area would improve. I don't think anyone quite realizes what start up costs actually are. If things continue there the way they are going, then no business will succeed there. The people of the town have to want to make their main street area better, it won't happen by magic."

That is actually a very astute point - therefore, I will have to give more thought to how to frame a well-reasoned response. In the meantime, my open ended question is what revitalization project or business would thrive (or be a draw) in that area that could succeed? I threw a few ideas out there earlier within that same post, but given the commentary, the area may have a greater business potential than I give it credit for, so I will examine a few Dover businesses closer and make some additional suggestions as to what may be missing and could succeed in this particular area of the state later. Feel free to make suggestions though - for example, what was there before Lockerman exchange?

No comments: